In 1949 farmers nearby Cracow were expropriated and the propaganda announced the ground-breaking for Nowa Huta - a working class town which was conceived for 100 thousand workers. The basis for the centre of Nowa Huta were three axes: The city axis connecting Nowa Huta with the historical centre of Cracow, the work axis with the Nowa Huta steelplant and finally the axis of recreation with the town hall square. The architecture of Nowa Huta is called Socialist Realism (Socrealism) - in Poland linked to the Renaissance style because its content should be socialistic, but its form national.
At the same time the construction work at the future steel foundry started which should produce 1.5 million tons of steel every year. The climax were achieved in the seventees, when 7 million tons of steel were made and 38000 people worked there. But after 1989 the steelwork was subject to numerous changes. Nowadays the Nowa Huta steelplant is part of the Polish Steelworks Group (PHS) belonging to the Indian steel magnate Lakszmi Mithal.
Nowa Huta has yet other sights to offer: A relict of ancient times is the Wanda Hill situated next to the steelplant, regarded as the grave of princess Wanda, the daughter of Cracow's founder Prince Crac. In the same part of Nowa Huta also the Cistercian monastery is located. The Cistercian Abbey is home to the famous Cross of Mogila and the interior wall paintings made by monk Stanislaus Samostrzelnik. In addition tourists very often want to visit the first church of Nowa Huta - the God's Ark. Consecrated in 1977, this church owes its existence the holy father Pope John Paul II., at that time archbishop of Cracow. This Nowa Huta church was designed in form of Noah's Ark, which has grounded on the mountain Ararat - a strong symbol in communist time.1-2-4-1